Thursday, April 1, 2010

Sorority Girls offensive Fundraiser!

The ladies of Kappa Phi Lambda decided to organize a fundraiser for the Coalition Against Trafficking in Women and NAPAWF. Lovely and very nice of them to offer.....the problem lies in the ridiculous, insulting and simply offensive theme of the event.....Wait for it here it comes...these bright young things decided to have a party where women dressed up in naughty, sexy and slutty uniforms "Women in the Forces: Independent Women Get Out on the Dance Floor! Basically they are inviting women to sexually objectify themselves to help women who are forced into sexual exploitation!

Does this not sound just plain wrong! We have the right to choose how we live our lives, how we make an income and how we dress....yes we choose this. But how can it be okay to consciously choose to be objectified by men when there are thousands of women in the world forced to fulfill men's sexual fantasies. Not by choice!!!! They have no Choice...but we do!!! Early feminists burnt bras...I think our generation needs to burn the slutty costumes!!!!

I read this story on the Bust blog (http://bust.com/blog/2010/03/27/sexually-exploit-yourself-to-help-stop-sex-trafficking.html). It is an interesting article and worth reading as the author questions all her choices and tries to decide where the thin line is. This event brought up the question of make-up, heels and mini skirts are also considered to be submitting to male objectification and capitalist patriarchal society? This just goes back to the same old issue of feminism vs femininity. We can be feminists and look gorgeous by dressing the way we feel comfortable. But naughty slutty Halloween costumes are for girls looking to turn men on instead of feeling comfortable and confident in themselves. As you all know I love clothes, shoes, makeup and hair products. My boobs are not in your face and my derrière is not hanging out as I gyrate on the dance floor......Now that is dressing to get male's attention!
Kappa Phi Lambda I really hope you are not a sign of younger feminists to come......

2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I just wanted to say that I did attend the party that you are speaking about. First off, there were NO girls dressed in that attire. Second off,the party seemed very successful. I hope those girls raised enough money to support those great causes. The flyer DID NOT have such sexual picture that you and that jamie girl posted. It was actually very tasteful. How can you comment on such event when you weren't even there or even have seen the flyer. THIS IS VULGAR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Melissa,

    I am sorry if I offended but the flyer I saw really did have a sexual picture on it. I would gladly change my comments about the event if you would be kind to share the invite you saw or pictures from the event. But what I have seen so far is just suspect.

    ReplyDelete